Thursday, April 9, 2009

blog zombies: you are legion, but i've got a fever and the only prescription is more comments

this post is for all my faithful, and even not so faithful, blog zombies out there. i feel your presence and hear your whispers... i know you're there, even though, except for a choice few, you refuse to comment. what you don't understand is that despite my exceptional blogging skills, i am only human. i can only come up with so many brilliant posts for free for so long.

i'm not asking for any money, i'm above that, although i am trying to come up with some multi-level marketing scheme that involves you as my blog zombies enlisting other blog zombies to comment on my blog posts for a nominal fee. i am putting the finishing touches on my late-night infomercial now:

first very amateur actor: i made $20k last month without even leaving my house.

second even more amateur actor: i made $50k and i don't even have a college degree.

infomercial host: hi, my name is webster, you might remember me from hit daytime sitcoms such as, webster. blah, blah, blah, you get the picture... all you have to do is comment on the cooperfive blog.

i'm sure you've figured this out by now, but i'm not saying anything... i'm just saying: i've got a fever and the only prescription is more comments.

ever since i started blogging almost one year ago to the day i have dreamed of reaching double-digit comments on a single blog post... i figured i'd have scaled that everest by now and, surprisingly, i have not. comments are my currency. it has now become an obsession so consuming it almost kept me from watching 24 the other night.

i've stayed up late trying to think of the perfect post that would inspire as many as 10 blog zombies from my little blog zombie flock to comment on a single post. i occasionally stock the blogs of cyberspace and i just don't get it. i'm not envious or anything, i'm just a little jealous since jealousy is way different from envy. maybe i need to take some more cute photos of aim and the boys and slap some photoshop markings on them. maybe i should get a hold of last summer's efy soundtrack and replace my music with some jericho road. i don't know, i'm spent. in the meantime i guess i will just have to keep dreaming up new ways to keep your attention while simultaneously losing your respect and emasculating myself.

never fear, i will never cease to deliver quality posts like those of the past. let's take a moment to reflect on such classics as...

the critically acclaimed "pigeons, poop and gameballs." this was one for the ages, the one that really put me on the blogging map. then there was the "blond ambition: yes, i can and so can you or else it just wouldn't be fair" which may not have had the blockbuster budget and starpower of "pigeons" but has become a cult favorite and art house fixture all over the world. we came close with aim's walmart post, but that comment total was a little misleading/inflated since i think i posted two of the eight comments.

and how can we forget the "twilight post"? i pulled out all the stops for that one. i felt like my breadth as a blogger really showed in that post. the recent rumblings of that post being the odds-on dark horse favorite to take the post of the year blog oscar may be a little premature, but i felt i had to get the rumor up and going sooner rather than later, so.... while "genius" may be a little strong to describe that post, "sheer genius" seems a little more appropriate; however, unfortunately, and in spite of adri's very clever comment, that post could only muster a mere six comments. even aim's birthday post only managed a measily two comments. babe, it's not you, it's me. i am failing.

then again, i have to remind myself that even "arrested development" only lasted two and a half seasons while "two and a half men" is on its ninth or something. that, my friends, is a sad commentary on that state of america's sense of humor.

maybe i kid myself. perhaps my delusions of grandeur are just that... delusions, but i'm no quitter. i'll keep blogging. in fact, your failure to comment only makes me a stronger, more determined blogger. the more i think about it, i don't want to be mainstream, i like being the underdog who dwells in the underground. it's part of my draw, my mystique, my moxy, my kit and kaboodle.

i get it. i'm that blogger. the one whose material you'll all read in the safety of your own home but are afraid to talk about in public. you don't want to be publicly associated with the blog. you're comfortable with the anonymity of the blog, don't kid yourselves, you are blog zombies and there is nothing you can do about it regardless of what your parents would say if they knew. this isn't hitler's germany or stalin's russia... no ones going to knock on your door in the middle of the night, pull you from the comfort of your home, drag you down to some dark room ten stories underground in the middle of the desert and question you for hours before throwing you on a black list. there's no such thing as "blog zombie'ism".... at least that's what they want you to believe. posting on the blog won't keep you from getting a cabinet position or a supreme court nomination, but as long as you pay your taxes that shouldn't be a concern anyway.

think of me as the che guevara of the blogging world except that i am nothing like him even though we both lived in argentina. but i'm now thinking i need a picture like his at the top of the blog, even though he probably looks better in a beret than i do (i'm not full-on conceding that, it's definitely up for debate). but i'd be willing to wear a beret and grow a goatee for the shot. i just think it would be kind of cool to have my picture as a revolutionary blogging soldier plastered across the world as a somewhat laughable political fashion statement which really should make a difference for my cause since anyone who wears a che shirt is clearly dedicated to communism... that's assuming they even know the guy in the beret's name that is.

regardless, i'm impervious to your ignoring me because i actually don't notice that you're doing it since you're really doing nothing at all... in fact i often have to pinch myself as a reminder that you're even doing it... or not doing it, as it were. but keep in mind that studies have shown that reading the blog makes people happy. doctors, psychiatrists and religious leaders are prescribing it to patients and followers alike. more specifically, the kids in the hospitals, the orphans in the orphanages, the really skinny kids in ethiopia that live in mud huts with no electricity but still seem to have access to the internet somehow are inspired by your comments. so, here's what i propose:

comment for the kids... for jeremy's kids. in fact, let's start a telethon. all we need is a juggler, someone's annoying little rat dog to do tricks and a few custom-written roadshow skits from my mom and we're in business. donate a comment on the blog and change someone's life. it's not that hard and it will make a world of difference. don't do it for me or mrs. blogmaster, do it for them. it will be beautiful. the ball is now in your court, so but don't be surprised if you get a call from someone in india asking you to donate a comment to the blog. you can avoid that unintelligible call by posting just one comment.

on a side note, i don't question all of your loyalties (you know who you are since some of you are even willing to be seen with us in public and welcome us into your home and throw very enjoyable dinner parties and birthday get-togethers for us, well, not me, just mrs. blogmaster... btw, thanks again for that, mj and cf) as i suspect many of you have even tattooed the label "blog zombie" on some unseen region of your body. i can respect that as long as it is a removable tattoo because otherwise it's just not worth it, man. blogging's a fad, your body's a temple and that tattoo "artist" with more piercings on one side of his face than the entire young woman's program in your ward, even before president hinckley's "talk", doesn't have a recommend. i would go for something more vanilla ice'ish and less permanent like shaving "blog zombie" into your eyebrow or something. but whatever.

in closing, i'm going to go out on limb here at the risk of exposing my complete and utter blogging world ignorance and admit that i don't read see jane. i realize that my blogging street cred may have just taken a hit... and i'm ok with that. but i feel i need to be open and honest with you, my blog zombies, if i ever really suspect to control you from the internet. you probably read that blog and that's fine if your into that kind of stuff, it makes for a good cover story... plus she went to high school with mrs. blogmaster. they're, how should i say it... bulldogs for life, or something like that?

did i just drop something? as a matter of fact, i did... a name. you see, even i'm not above name-dropping. shameless.

all i'm asking is that you never forget, that as proud as you may be to be janites, you are also blog zombies. it's nothing to be ashamed of. carry that mantle with some pride.

the few, the proud, the green.

sic semper tyrannus.

on second thought, i've heard eyebrows don't grow back... of course, that wouldn't deter a real blog zombie from doing it.

17 comments:

Hodges Family said...

I have found if you leave Comments on other peoples blogs the comments will come flowing in!

The HousewifeTravels said...

You're insane!

Jason C. Walker, Esq. said...

I know the secret. If you get a lot of followers which you control from the internet, you will then be able to post advertisements to help support your rock n' roll lifestyle. And we will be too brainwashed to know the difference. But then I lose a great co-worker, and where will that get me? (perhaps the advertising started with the WalMart poster anyway?)

Kelly said...

Jeremy, you are seriously hilarious and yes I read your blog, every new post. I guess you male bloggers out there, greenies, or whatever you'd like to call yourselves don't know what it's like to be a female blogger and be lucky to find time post something, let alone read someone elses, and on top of that comment?!! :) Now really, it's just too much to ask amid the "stinky" smeared on the inside of the crib, the near stitches experience where one darling twin slashed the other darling twin over the head with a butter knife, or maybe it was my son kicking a whole in the wall of the time out room. I just couldn't be sure which of these marvelous incidences kept me from my deep desire to comment on your blog. Just know my dear friend, I am the silent but dedicated, the one quietly laughing behind the computer screen as I am suddenly interrupted by a shattering sound of broken glass and I run to survey the damages...I won't get into it, you sweet men just wouldn't understand! :) :) Keep me laughing Jeremy, I'm a fan of the cooper 5!

the cooperfive said...

i can see my guilt trip has worked on at least some of my favorite posters:

cali: i agree. the cooper five should be commenting on other people's blogs more often, but then that would require effort. i'm not sure i'm ready to make that kind of commitment yet. i think aim should be the designated cooper five commenter, but i'm sure she would agree with kelly below regarding time constraints to comment. i commend you for doing so.

cannons: i'm not sure which of you commented, but i agree... i am insane and insecure, why else would i need the reassurance of my blogging friends in order to satisfy my ego? regardless, mrs. blogmaster and i loved your comment.

jason: the secret's between you and me and all of the internet. if i did ever leave the friendly confines of jb, there would always be a spot for as an editor for my posts so we could remain co-workers.

kelly: this post wasn't really directed at you seeing as how i know you are a dedicated reader and all. this was meant more for your husband, erik (it's with a "k", right? much better to have a "k" in erik as it makes him sound more like a viking). i consider it a privilege that any stay-at-home mom (sahm), much less one with twins, finds any time at all to maintain her own blog, read my blog, and then comment on top of that. keep up the good work (all you sahms out there). btw, let parks know that i know someone who also kicked a hole in the wall and still turned out to be a semi-professional world class blogger. he's got a bright future.

Hiram said...

Jeremy, I hope discovering that there are many hidden blog zombies reading your blog helps out with your insecurity.

-Hiram Jacob (your cousin-in-law... or whatever...)

the cooperfive said...

thanks, hiram...

i'm feeling more secure already.

nice to see you frequent the blog. keep up the good work, and by work i mean reading the blog.

Pauline said...

Count us in as fans. We read them all.

Tara said...

I have checked in on you from time to time and find your blog quite clever and refreshing compared to most blogs I read--and I read quite a few!

If you are looking for double digit comments I would suggest having a baby. That's when I got the most comments. I guess you'll have to work that one out with Aimee.

Annegirl said...

You're at nine... what heartless fiend could resist? Heaven forbid you discover google analytics to keep you up at night...

Another Cousin-in-law :)

the cooperfive said...

well, would you look at that... i, no we, got to ten and i only had to post two comments to get us there. well done, my greenies.

that being said, and while i appreciate all your stellar efforts in inflating my fragile ego, i will not be fully satisfied until we get to 13 comments.

i would be remiss if i did not thank my faithful non-blood family members. it's nice to know that those of you who are related to me through marriage care enough to comment... most recently pauline and annegirl.

annegirl, go easy on my grammar. i know i am supposed to use capital letters and i probably overuse commas and these things ... i also put commas on the outside of quotes sometimes, i can't resist.

lastly, some of you newcomers may have a shot at poster of the year if you'd only post a little more often. t'would be a shame were you to miss out on that prolific prize because you're too busy spending time with family, actually working while at work or on your studies. it's all about priorities... how bad do you want it?

the cooperfive said...

oh, and how can i forget to comment on tara's comment. your suggestion is duly noted. had i known that bearing additional children was all it tool to get double digit comments, we would have had at least two more in the one year i have been blogging.

now we need 14 comments before i'll sleep well.

The Vegas Veenendaal's said...

You are seriously a spaz.... LOL Here is your 13th comment. I have to admit though, it kinda does make you feel good to get a lot of comments. ;)

Megan said...

I caved and commented--I don't think I count though because of my zombie status, but I couldn't just leave you hanging.

emcghee said...

So I am definately a blog zombie of los cooper cinco. I love it--so much that I have to make sure I have uninterrupted time to read any new posts. I need full concentration to enjoy every word of it. I even turn the music off, I'm that focused. With that said--I was out of town for 8 days with no computer! Then had company the day we got back and am just now finding my priceless, uninterrupted time. I will continue to look forward to many a wonderful post from the blogmaster. And hopefully will not be the last to comment!

emcghee said...

Oh--and I am going to have to find a small chunck of time to go back and read some of the posts you mentioned, that must have been before I was such a dedicated greenie.

Unknown said...

This is my first time reading your blog and I will definitly be back. I never comment on blogs, accually I think this is a first. But it definitly deserved a comment, I loved the Easter sunday one also.
I was in a bad mood until I read your blog, so thanks for making me laugh :-)

iinitiate the blog

iinitiate the blog